Identify the problem :
* Are they in stress?
* Do they suffer anxiety?
* Have they changed their behavioural patterns?
Things to realise :
* Kids’ stress may be intensified by more than just what’s happening in their own lives.
*Do your kids hear you talking about troubles at work, worrying about your job or financial crisis ?
* Watch how you discuss such issues when your kids are near because children will pick up on their parents’ anxieties and start to worry themselves.
* Present scenario of COVID
World news can cause stress.
*Kids who see disturbing images on TV or hear talk of suffering people may worry about their own safety and that of the people they love.
*Talk to your kids about what they see and hear, and monitor what they watch on TV so that you can help them understand what’s going on.
Observe your kids :
Signs and Symptoms
* Short-term behavioral changes
changes in sleep patterns
bedwetting — can be indications.
* Physical effects :
become withdrawn or spend a lot of time alone.
*Younger children (2.8-4 years)
May develop new habits :
* Older kids may begin to lie, bully, or defy authority.
Overreact to minor problems, have nightmares,become clingy
Loose interest in academic or curricular activities
The time to seek professional attention :
*when any change in behavior persists
*when stress is causing serious anxiety
*when the behavior causes significant problems at home.
If you need help finding resources for your child, consult his/her teacher.
Let them come back to their own haven of joy !!
Nishesh Kumar Sinha
Child Pedagogy Expert